Two railroad lines ran through the neighborhood during its history. One, H. B. Plant's original 1889 rail extension across the Hillsborough River and through the Interbay Peninsula to Port Tampa, still exists today. Another, a spur line that ran north along Rome Avenue, has since been removed. Both had an influence on the development of the area -- it could even be reasoned that the neighborhood exists because of the railroad.